I have a serious new addiction to kale chips. They are super healthy for you and they come in a variety of tasty flavors. The one draw back…they are expensive! So, with that said…why not make your own right at home!
Here is how to make the tastiest, healthy kale chips right in your own kitchen!
Cheesy Kale Chips, using vegetarian and vegan-friendly Go Nuts “Cheese” Sauce which is also great in pasta and over veggies as a dip! You can use real cheese also, this is just a healthier alternative.
The “cheesy” flavor in the sauce comes from nutritional yeast – a cultured strain of yeast that is grown, then de-activated (killed) with heat. It has protein and vitamins and a unique flavor that works well re-creating cheesy dishes. Sounds like space food, I know, but it’s very similar to brewer’s yeast, which is often used for making bread, and all totally normal!
A dehydrator works awesome to get perfectly cooked, crunchy kale chips. However, an oven will work just fine too! Make sure to keep an eye on them so they don’t burn!
CHEESY KALE CHIPS RECIPE
GO NUTS “CHEESE” SAUCE
- 1 cup cashew nuts
- 1 cup red bell pepper
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme if you have it on hand – adds a nice flavour, but not necessary
- water to get the right consistency – thick, but creamy – about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup
NOTE: seasonings below are to taste – start here, then keep playing with it until it tastes good to you. To be honest, I’ve never really measured it out!
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
Toss all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Add water until you get the consistency of a cheese sauce. If you want to use this for kale chips, amp up the seasonings to reallyflavour the kale, more so than if you were to eat it on its own. Does that make sense – the flavour can get diluted over the kale, so don’t be scared to get generous with the seasoning.
CHEESY KALE CHIPS
- Go Nuts “Cheese” Sauce
- tear the leaves off of the stems, make sure not to include the spine!
- wash the kale and dry thoroughly
- pour the Go Nuts “Cheese” Sauce over the kale until fully coated
- OVEN: place on a baking tray and bake at 135° C (275° F) for about 25 minutes – flipping over half way through.
- DEHYDRATOR: place on the rack and set to dry at 50° C (130° F) for about 10-12 hours or overnight.
And there you have it! You are going to love these!
Recipe via: littlegreendot
Like ✪ Share ✪ Be Awesome