Keep ants out of your home for good using these natural weapons
Ants can be persistent little buggers, if they want to get into your home, they will, if they find sources of food or water. Unless you dissuade them using any means you can, but bug spray can also be harmful to the user, and can cost a small fortune in the long run. Well, you are in luck! Here are a dozen natural and inexpensive methods of getting rid of ants who insist on invading your home.
1. Lemon juice. The citrus smell and acidic nature of lemon juice affect ants by obscuring the chemical scent markers they leave behind to mark the trails. Paint the areas where the ants are coming in with lemon juice.
2. Coffee grounds. Just like lemon juice, coffee grounds mask the scent trails ants leave behind. Create a barrier where the ants cross into your home to leave them out.
3. Peppermint oil. Similarly, peppermint confuses ants’ communication process by blocking the scent trails. Just mix around 10 drops of peppermint oil with water in a spray bottle, and spray away directly at the ants like bug spray.
4. Tea tree oil. Another natural ant spray when mixed with water. More effectively, you can use a Q-tip to apply tea tree oil directly on the path where the ants pass to get into your home.
5. Baking Soda. Apparently baking soda has several alternative uses, one being to kill ants. Just mix a bit of sugar (to attract the ants) with the baking soda, place it where the ants enter your home. Then as if by magic, you have dead ants to sweep away.
6. Baby powder. Surprisingly, ants cannot stand baby powder (lucky for babies using lots of it), and will keep them from entering your home where you sprinkle it. The smell of the powder will also affect ants already inside your home by confusing them so they can’t return to their mound and eventually perish.
7. Chalk. In similar way as baby powder, chalk has a substance which also disrupts their chemical signals, and will not cross the drawn line you make.
8. Vaseline. Simply acts like fly-paper, its sticky surface will prevent ants from moving wherever you have applied the vaseline. Make sure you apply enough to prevent ants from making an “ant-bridge” using the bodies of ants already stuck in the gooey trap.
9. Cornmeal. Ants love cornmeal, yet it kills them since their digestive system cannot digest the cornmeal properly, causing them to explode. Spread some cornmeal near the entry point to your home. Observe the fireworks.
10. Cinnamon. You would think ants would love this spice since it has a sweetness to it, but the smell makes them avoid going near it. Just sprinkle it near the entry points where you notice the ants.
11. Borax. Another ant killer weapon. Mix 1 cup of sugar with ½ cup of water and 1 tablespoon of borax in a container with a plastic lid. Poke holes in the lid and place near the ant mound, adding a little sugar around to lure in the ants, and let the trap do its work.
12. Boiling water. Simple but effective. Why wait for ants to invade your home? Look for the source, their anthill, and flood it with boiling water. Easy kill. Try not to kill your plants near it though.
A dozen ant deterrents, ant weapons, to help you get rid of unwanted ants in your home. Use what is easiest, and switch from time to time, should more invaders come your way.
Like ✪ Share ✪ Be Awesome
What are your thoughts? Please comment below and share this news!
Awesome Jelly / Report a typo