People often use meal delivery service and meal kit subscription interchangeably. But there is a slight difference between the two. If you are still confused by the two terms, this article will help make the concepts easier to understand.
What is a Prepared Meal Delivery Service?
A healthy meal prep delivery involves a carefully prepared meal plan that is changed every week. The service provider employs a nutritionist or dietician to prepare a customized meal for each customer.
If you do not want to subscribe to a weekly meal plan, you can also pick a meal from the menu listed on the website. You can order breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Or you can order all the three for the day.
You can choose to pick up the pre-packaged food or have it delivered to your location. You will have to pay a small cost for transport. Typically, the fee integrates into the price of each meal.
What is a Meal Kit Subscription?
Unlike the healthy meal prep delivery, the service provider will deliver raw ingredients to your home.
Here is how it works: You will go to the website and select any food from the menu. The ingredients will then be delivered to your location, along with the recipe. You need to follow the recipe. Most of the ingredients on the list are very easy to prepare. You do not need to have a professional background to recreate the food. They can be prepared easily and served within a maximum of 30 minutes.
What are the Pros and Cons of Each Option?
There is no perfect service. Each option comes with its respective advantages and disadvantages.
The pros and cons of the meal kit subscription are:
- It saves you a lot of time from going to the grocery store.
- It is very convenient as the ingredients are delivered right at your door.
- You can practice your cooking skills and impress your friends and family.
- One disadvantage is that the menu is quite limited.
- Sometimes some of the ingredients may go missing.
- It is a hassle to have to cook when you want to eat and rest.
The pros and cons of a meal delivery service are:
- It saves you a lot of time from going to the grocery store or from dining out.
- It is very convenient as the meals get to deliver to your location.
- You open the box and eat.
- The package is easily disposable, so you do not need to clean up.
- It offers a wide array of selections.
- Meal kits can get expensive.
- You are not sure where they source their ingredients from.
Opting for a healthy meal prep delivery will ensure that you get the full nutritional value you need. The customized meals are prepared by dieticians and nutritionists, taking into account your lifestyle choice. In most cases, they will also ask your state of health. If your doctor has recommended a diet plan, they will incorporate that into your meals, as well.
Lastly, you are not likely to waste food since the portions are just enough for your needs. Think about those who go to bed with hunger, as per this wordhunger.org report. It is significant since, according to the 2017 Food Sustainability Index, each person in the United States wastes about 278 kilograms of food per year. One of the main reasons for the food wastage is people ordering or cooking food more than they can consume.