What Parents Need To Know About The Dangerous ‘Benadryl Challenge’ On TikTok

Like & Follow Us On Facebook!


Why is this even a ‘thing’?

Teens, across the country, are accepting the Benadryl Challenge on TikTok which Dr. Stokes Peebles, a professor of medicine at Vanderbilt University, warns could have deadly results.

In this new game, teens encourage one another to take as much allergy medicine as needed to hallucinate. Some teens report taking a dozen, or more, pills before “tripping out”.

“Hallucinations can certainly occur from a Benadryl overdose on the way to having coma,” said Dr. Peebles.

There is a very fine line between the desired ‘tripping out’ effect and incredibly devastating effects. Side effects caused by overuse of the medication include heart attack, seizure, and stroke, leading to permanent brain damage. The entire ‘challenge’ is misleading from the get go as Benadryl will not create a ‘quick high’, in fact, it does the opposite as it is a sedative. Overdosing is a very possible reality with this ridiculous challenge.

A 15-year-old girl from the Midwest recently died due to complications stemming from this TikTok challenge.

It’s also important for teens to realize, overdosing on Benadryl requires immediate medical attention. “If you come across this, that someone has taken to much Benadryl, absolutely call 911 because this is not something you can deal with at home.”

Dr. Peebles said, for parents to speak to their kids about the dangers. It’s also a reminder to teens that if a challenge seems risky, it probably is. “Things you read on the internet, you should not do.”