Cat eye glasses have been around since the 1950s and have been a fashion staple ever since. These classic frames have gone in and out of style over the years, but they have once again made a comeback. With their timeless design and unique shape, cat eye glasses are the perfect accessory for anyone looking to add a touch of vintage glamour to their wardrobe.
The History of Cat Eye Glasses
Cat eye glasses first became popular in the 1950s and 60s. They were often worn by Hollywood stars like Marilyn Monroe and Audrey Hepburn, and were considered the epitome of glamour and sophistication. The frames were typically made of plastic and featured a distinctive upward sweep at the outer edges.
In the 1970s and 80s, cat eye glasses went out of fashion as oversized frames and aviators became popular. However, in recent years, they have made a comeback as vintage and retro styles have become more popular.
Why Cat Eye Glasses are So Popular
There are several reasons why cat eye glasses have become so popular once again. First, they are incredibly versatile and can be worn with a variety of outfits. Whether you’re dressing up for a special occasion or just running errands, cat eye glasses can add a touch of glamour to any look.
In addition, cat eye glasses are incredibly flattering on a range of face shapes. The upward sweep of the frames can help to elongate the face and draw attention to the cheekbones.
How to Wear Cat Eye Glasses
If you’re new to cat eye glasses, it can be difficult to know how to wear them. Here are a few tips to help you rock this classic style:
- Choose the right size: Cat eye glasses come in a range of sizes, so it’s important to choose a pair that fits your face properly.
- Keep it simple: Because cat eye glasses are a statement piece, it’s best to keep the rest of your outfit simple. Pair them with a classic white shirt or a little black dress for a timeless look.
- Experiment with color: While black and tortoiseshell are classic cat eye frame colors, don’t be afraid to experiment with brighter hues. A pair of red or pink cat eye glasses can add a fun pop of color to any outfit.
- Consider your makeup: When wearing cat eye glasses, it’s important to consider your makeup. A bold lipstick or cat eye liner can complement the frames and complete the vintage look.
- Hairstyles: Choosing a hairstyle that works well with cat eye glasses is also important. An updo can highlight the frames and elongate the face, while a sleek ponytail can add a modern touch.
Where to Buy Cat Eye Glasses
If you’re looking to add a pair of cat eye glasses to your collection, there are plenty of places to shop. Many eyewear brands such as Lenscrafters or Lensmart offer their own take on the classic style, so you can find a pair at almost any price point.
In addition, vintage and thrift stores are a great place to find authentic cat eye glasses from the 1950s and 60s. These frames may require a bit of restoration, but they are a great way to add a unique touch to your wardrobe.
The Future of Cat Eye Glasses
As with any fashion trend, it’s hard to predict what the future holds for cat eye glasses. However, given their timeless design and enduring popularity, it’s safe to say that they will continue to be a fashion staple for years to come.
In addition, eyewear technology is constantly evolving, which means that cat eye glasses may become even more comfortable and functional in the future.
Cat eye glasses are a classic style that have stood the test of time. From their origins in the 1950s to their recent resurgence in popularity, these frames have remained a symbol of glamour and sophistication. Whether you’re a vintage lover or simply looking to add a touch of retro flair to your wardrobe, cat eye glasses are the perfect accessory.