Laws, you can’t live with them and we all sort of want to live without them! Certain laws are good and necessary to keep society running safely and smoothly, but some laws are just plain crazy!
Throughout the years laws have been put on the books in Maine that are so far out there and strange, that they make you shake your head. The laws may have pertained to that time period, but time has changed and those laws are still on the books! Are they enforced? Not so much.
How fun would it be as a police officer to actually summons people for doing these strange things? After all, they technically would be breaking the law!
You can familiarize yourself with the laws below…you know…so you don’t end up on the wrong side of the law!
1. Shotguns are required to be taken to church in the event of a Native American attack.
2. You may not step out of a plane in flight.
3. After January 14th you will be charged a fine for having your Christmas decorations still up.
4. Bullets may not be used as currency.
5. It is illegal to advertise in a cemetery.
6. In Freeport, it’s illegal to “expectorate” (cough up phlegm) from second story windows!
7. In Augusta, to stroll down the street playing a violin is against the law.
8. In Biddeford, it is illegal to gamble at the airport.
9. It is illegal to roller skate down the sidewalk in Biddeford.
10. In Ellsworth, if any part of the sign ordinances of the city are more stringent than federal laws, even though they may be in conflict with them, they will prevail.
11. In Freeport, mercury thermometers may not be sold in the city.
12. In South Berwick, it is illegal to park in front of Dunkin Donuts. (Police only)
13. In Waterville, it is illegal to spit on the sidewalk.
14. In Waterboro, dog leashes may not be over eight feet in length.
15. In Wells, deer may not be fed.
Like ✪ Share ✪ Be Awesome