This recipe for a Monte Cristo Sandwich will have you craving them morning, noon, and night. It’s an easy twist on the basic ham and cheese combination, and oh so very satisfying.
The Monte Cristo is made with ham, cheese, a bit of mustard, and mayonnaise, then it’s dipped in egg, and cooked just like french toast.
Ingredients – Serves Two
- 2 eggs
- pinches of salt and pepper
- 4 slices sturdy white bread (or white bread of preference)
- 2 tablespoons mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- ½ pound thick sliced baked ham
- ½ ounce, weight shredded gruyere cheese
- additional salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- optional garnish/toppings: powdered sugar, honey, preserves
- Beat eggs in a shallow dish (large enough to fit a sandwich) along with a few pinches of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble sandwiches, with mustard, mayonnaise, ham, cheese, salt and pepper to personal preference. Slightly compress sandwich.
- Over medium heat melt butter in skillet.
- Dip and coat each sandwich in beaten egg, and place in skillet. Cook sandwiches 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned to liking and cheese has melted.
Like ✪ Share ✪ Be Awesome